Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Reflections in my art history



I was recently a chaperone on an 8th grade DC trip for the school I student taught at and went to in my younger years. I half agreed to go on this silly little trip, in traumatic heat with 11 small hooligans to herd, all for the joy of roaming the halls of the national gallery or at least the hirshorn galleries/sculpture gardens. To my dismay none of the 11 students in my group wanted to go to an art museum.
Somehow, to these children, art museums seem boring compared to Air and Space or the Natural History museum or American Indian museum. I was completely floored. This makes no sense to me. And how did I, the resident arteest, end up with 11 kids who don't particularly care for art.
I think it is needless to say that I sucked it up and went where they wanted to go. However I may have manipulated them to go to the American Indian museum over natural history.....but how could I resist there was a Brian Jungen Exhibit and it was AMAZING. How could anyone not appreciate an ostrich made from suitcases. It is even more impressive on display since it hangs alongside other suitcase animals such as an armadillo, gator and shark on a giant mobile. (don't tell Calder)
I really encouraged the boys in my group to at least see the exhibit. I talked of how he makes sculptures out of nikes and baseball gloves and that one of his sculptures you can walk inside and actually sit in it (they were really big on just sitting).
Unfortunately I was wrong on one part, the large wigwam sculpture made from trash-cans.....you can't sit in it, well you can, and I did, but you aren't supposed to. Fortunately for me, the cute african american man guarding the art, wasn't upset at all and actually found my lounging, in it's perfect stadium seating, amusing.
The boys eventually came through and loved the art; so great success, middle school boys realize art isn't 'totally lame.' I feel I won a small battle, and maybe one day they will be cultured young gentlemen.
So I got off track. When I was younger I appreciated the impressionists and meticulous skill in painting. I even thought Bob Ross a great talent. As I went through art school, I suppose I was brainwashed and now I appreciate so much more.
I can only hope that there's been a spark in them of some form of love for art.

Thank you Brian Jungen, you have made art relevant to teenage boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment