Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My First Baby Dress


Now before you get all excited about my sweet skills, this is the story of taking what's already cute and cutting it down to baby size, not working from scratch.


First I started with a perfectly good dress. 


Next I take a perfectly good baby dress and measure and then measure on the big dress starting at the perfectly good waistline.


Next, repeat for the length of skirt also starting at the waistline and mark. 



And finally take measurements for the waist and add a couple inches for leighway. (I'd add three or four if I made it again for the waist measurement)


When you cut make sure to cut an inch or two larger than you need to turn under seams and to allow for a less stretchy fabric/mistakes.


After cutting it down I measured again for about where I'd need the arm holes to start going down.


Then I made a cut for the arms (again leaving room to turn under).


I used a seam ripper and pulled out the little loops so I didn't have to make my own.

I also salvaged the straps.


I forgot about the pockets and sewed a straight line down them then trimmed the pocket off.


Then I hemmed the bottom of the dress after ironing.


This was a kinda nice dress so I was able to iron under the edges then tuck the straps and loops in for one sweep through sewing across the top.


I pinned them in and sewed close to the edge.


Here is the part I messed up a bit. I sewed the back seam, but had forgotten to make sure the sides were the same. Also I wish I'd made the elastic longer than I did. 


I'm new at the elastic thing. I used 4 inches and stretched it to six when I sewed it on. I should have used more and left excess fabric on the waist so the dress could last a little longer for a growing baby. The way I did it left little extra room and the end result was a little smaller than I'd hoped, but it does fit baby girl now so that's fun.

Poor thing had a clogged tear duct but she is still so sweet.

Annnd the finished back.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! This is Tierney, Reece's sister! Sarah showed me your site and I love it. I wish I had the patience to sew! I love your blog :D

    ReplyDelete