Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The J-oy of Fighting

I often sit at home thinking how boring facebook is and wonder how I spend so much time on it.

This has resulted in me reading more, but it seems my choice of books is very limited. One of my students gave me a 'Gossip Girl' book and I am embarrassed to say I have read some of it, although I admit when I stopped reading I wonder if I really should continue, I mean I don't like a single one of the characters, they are all trash and the way it is written is like a mix of a high school boy and a fashion-blogger. As I am writing this I feel I'm convincing myself to stop reading, but it's such easy entertainment.....I guess I could practice some korean. Maja. Or cut hundreds more circles for an event that happens to take place in less than four weeks!!!!!

If you have not taught Korean children you may not know this, but Korean kids fight all the time. The girls and boys are always getting out of their seats to hit each other. If they knew enough english I would tease them for flirting, but alas I only see them once a week and therefore they do not understand what flirting is.

At my school are two computers for the kids use. Usually they are used to do their online homework which requires them to record dialogues for me to listen to and critique. (yippee) However, there are a few students who use the computers to play games. One student in particular is very bad and always plays games when other kids need to work. Well this one student, let's call him J, was not on a computer but made another student quit his work before he was done by pirating the mouse and aborting all the work he had done. Needless to say the other student, E, was very upset. He got mad and stormed out to tell a teacher who came in to find J about to get on a game. We told him he had to do work if he was on the computer and so he did.

Soon after E got on a computer, after a lil girl was busted for gaming (a taking-care-of-your-puppy-game, and it was quite the squirming battle to get her off of it). J said something to E and E grabbed J's hair with his left hand and swung his right hand down on J's head. I grabbed E's right hand to stop the hitting just in time to see him use his left hand holding J's hair as stability for when he kneed J in the head. I finally got him to stop and J for the first time ever I saw kinda cry and E really cried as I took him out of the room. Still J is such a pain it was almost relieving to see someone discipline him for his bad behavior in a way he actually responds to (he certainly doesn't care about verbal reprimands).

All this to say, there is proof that those taekwondo lessons are paying off, at least for some of the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment