Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kat and Paul in Wonderland

I was in a wedding in September and the bride had bought my bridesmaid's dress for me while I was in Korea. When I got home she informed me that rather than paying her back (since I kept forgetting to bring a check/money for her) that I should just paint them a picture. Well IF I have the option to make a payment for something in paintings, consider it done.

WELL, they had had an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding and I thought, "How fun would it be to do my own take on it!?" So I did. I think I could have gotten even more wild had I been making a series, but I rarely make it to doing a series so the two will have to do.

I used two smaller canvases and lined them up on separate easels so that they would at least mostly line up. I wanted them to go together but not be mirror images. I picked my light source vaguely to the right and did some sketches. I wanted the feeling of the cluttered Mad Hatter tea party and threw in a cheshire cat and some teat-totting mice.

I feel I took more liberties with Paul. He doesn't really have a mustache or drink with his pinky out.
I go back and forth between if I like the colors I settled on, or if there is too much pink, or too many varying paint stokes. Still for my first imagined caricature painting, I don't think it's so bad. It was actually a lot of fun. However the funny thing about a more stylized cartoonie style, for me, is that I almost obsess over clean lines. This is a problem, because I struggle in oils to get clean lines in one try, or even two. Still I reached a point where I was satisfied with it enough, mostly knowing it would not be on my wall to be criticized daily by mwah.

I actually completed these and sent them home with my parents a while back, but I wanted to share a little more what I've been up to lately.


2 comments:

  1. Im guessing you painted these prior to doing the "pixelated creatures" becuase the effect is there but not as prevalently. I really like the fact that it's done on two different canvases, it really lends itself to the pixel feel. Were I you, I would take it farther by getting a bunch of smaller canvases and turning them into one image. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was prior....I definitely was all over the place with these two. I like the idea of smaller canvases but it would take a lot more space to store/paint them; I need to find a way to dry my stuff more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete