Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Baby Dress from a T-shirt


This is possibly my new favorite dress for my baby girl. It is just so cuddly!


I started by cutting off the sleeves and then along the shoulder seam and side seams. 


I loosely measured how much a baby onsie overlaps. 


I also loosely measured how long across it was. I semi used this measurement but adjusted as I went on. 


I pinned approximately how long I needed. 


Using the onsie as reference I drew out a basic dress pattern. ( which I later altered)



I folded it in half to cut. 


I used the front piece as a template for cutting the back. 


I overlapped the neck pieces by about 2.5 inches and pinned them and trimmed them since they angled a bit. 


I used the sleeve from the t-shirt for the sleeve and measured width from the onsie. 


I drew with washable marker and make sure the opening would fit a baby hand. Of course I made it about a half inch larger than I thought I needed for the seam allowance. 


I cut both sleeves. And trimmed the edges. 


I put right sides together starting from the middle and pinned. Then sewed them together using a zig-zag stitch. 


After sewing both sleeves I turned it inside out matching front to back and adjusted it as needed. 


Of course my original pattern needed some tweaking.


I rounded off the skirt. Sewed down the sides with the zig-zag stitch again, and then hemmed the bottom edge turning it under once since it's a knit fabric and doesn't really fray. 


I of course then tested it on the baby. She loves it. Or at least I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment